My family and I arrived to Florida yesterday with more problems than we had ever expected. During the 16 hour car ride our puppy Charlie had 3 seizures. I am sitting here trying to describe what it is like to watch a dog closely, afraid that any second he will have another episode but I cannot. It was really hard. When we got to our destination yesterday we went to an animal hospital where we needed to leave Toby at overnight so they could detox his blood stream of a chemical that got into him from a shampoo we had used for flea and tick prevention. Gladly, Toby did not have any symptoms.
I found a couple articles about this shampoo and why it was bad for not only little dogs, but any animal it is used on.
These links has several stories from people who had/have animals who suffered the same effects Charlie did. Some lived, some did not. http://www.hartzvictims.org/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5905/know_the_dangers_of_hartz_flea_tick.html?cat=53
This link describes what happens when the animal has been poisoned
http://www.ehow.com/list_5985565_dangers-hartz-flea-tick-shampoo.html
The recpetionist/vet assistant at the hospital told us something we could use is Dawn dish washing soap. This is a cheap way to still help remove fleas and clean your puppy without having to empty your wallet. http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/dog-groomer-salzberg/dish-soap.aspx
Be sure to watch what products you buy for your dog use. Foods, cleaning products and toys can all contain chemicals in them that could seriously hurt the animal. Prevent dangers when you can. Because products are on the shelves does not, by any means, mean that they are always safe. Additionally, sometimes it may be more beneficial to you to spend a little more money on a product when it comes to your animals/'s health.
JennieJenJen
I was very happy to see Charlie home today and we have been able to continue on with our vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment